How to transfer your iTunes library and iPad purchases to a new computer
We show you how to transfer all of your iTunes music, movies and other data and sync your iPad when you get a new Mac or Windows PC
Getting a new computer, whether it's a Windows PC or a Mac, is a stressful experience. New kit is always great, of course, but moving all of you programs and files from your old machine to your new one can be a pain.
If you're an iPad user, the task can be downright daunting.
Luckily, we're here to walk you through the process one step at a time. So follow this guide if you need to transfer your iTunes library from one computer to another along with all of the purchases you made on your iPad.
On your old computer:
- First and foremost, connect your iPad to your old machine using the supplied USB cable
- Click on the device name in the menu on the left, then on the main tab uncheck the box next to "Automatically Sync When This iPad Is Connected"
- Apply the changes and sync your iPad
Now you'll need to physically move your music, ringtones, photos, movies and TV shows from your old computer to your new one. There are several different ways to do this, but click here for your best bet. The linked guide even includes a video tutorial.
Once you've followed the guide linked above, you're ready for the last part.
On your new computer:
Do not connect your iPad to your computer yet.
- On your new computer, open iTunes
- From the Store menu, click Authorize Computer
- Enter your user name and password, then click the Authorize button
Now, connect your iPad to your new computer via the supplied USB cable.
- A dialog box will appear
- Click the Transfer Purchases button
- If the dialog box does not appear, right-click on your iPad's name in the menu on the left and choose Transfer Purchases
That's it! All of your purchases, including music, movies, TV shows and Apps (free and paid) will now be copied from your iPad to your new computer. You can now sync freely without worrying about losing all your data.