How to restore your old apps, files and settings to your new iPad
We show you how to get all of your apps, files and settings onto your new iPad from your old iPad 3GS, iPad 3G or iPad
Congratulations! You're one of millions of giddy iPad fans who purchased Apple's latest and greatest offering, the iPad.
If you're on your second iPad, you'll be happy to learn that it's extremely easy to move all of your current apps, music, movies, photos, files and settings from your old iPad to your shiny new one.
In fact, thanks to the iTunes backup and restore feature, getting all of your data onto your new handset can be accomplished in a few quick clicks.
First, it's a good idea to ensure you have the latest version of iTunes installed.
- If you're using a Windows PC; open iTunes and click on Help in the top menu, then select Check for Update.
- If you're on a Mac; open iTunes and click on iTunes in the top menu, then select Check for Updates...
Now simply follow the on-screen prompts to update iTunes.
Before you move all of your data over to the iPad, it's also a very good idea to ensure that your current iPad has the latest iOS version available.
- Open iTunes on your Windows or Mac PC
- With your iPad powered on, connect it to your computer using the supplied USB cable
- After a few seconds, your iPad will appear in the middle of the left-hand iTunes column under Devices -- click on it
- If your iPad currently has an older version of iOS, you should automatically be prompted to update
- If you are not prompted; click Check for Update, then follow the on-screen prompts to update iOS
- Now, simply follow the on-screen prompts to update iOS on your iPad 3GS, iPad 3G or iPad
Back up your current iPad
Your iPad was likely backed up during the update process, but you should create another backup file now that your iOS version has been updated.
- With your iPad still connected to your computer, right-click it in the left-hand iTunes column under Devices
- Select Back Up
Your iPad will now be backed up and all apps, games, music, movies, settings and other date will be saved to the new backup file
Set up and restore your new iPad
Here's the really easy part. When you first connect your new iPad to iTunes, you will be walked through the setup process.
Near the end of the setup process, you will see the following message appear:
An iPad has been previously synced with this computer.
Beneath this message, select Restore from the backup of: and choose your old iPad by name from the drop-down menu.
Click Continue, then follow the on-screen prompts to complete the setup process.
Your iPad will now be restored and all of the apps, games, music, movies, photos, settings and other files from your old iPad will be loaded onto your new device.