Motorola DROID RAZR HD tips and tricks
We offer Motorola DROID RAZR HD tips and tricks for your Verizon Wireless Android smartphone
We really like the Motorola DROID RAZR HD for Verizon Wireless and in our review, we said this Android phone provides a great experience and a long-lasting battery. IF you've picked one up, we'll give you some tips and tricks on how to get the most out of your Motorola DROID RAZR HD.
How to get even better battery life on your Motorola DROID Razr HD
The Motorola DROID RAZR HD already has fantastic battery life (like 24 hours) but you can eek out a bit more life with a few tweaks. There are some standard things you may know by now including turning off push email and switching off WiFi and Bluetooth if they're not in use.
One recommendation I found really useful on a recent trip is to just turn on Airplane mode if you're in an area that doesn't get reception. Your phone burns through battery quicker if it's constantly trying to find a signal. Adiditonally, try and download your media content while over WiFi and play it locally because streaming content can really rip through your power supply.
For more information on improving your battery life, please read: "How to get better battery life on your Android smartphone."
How to take a screen shot on your Motorola DROID Razr HD
Whether you want to commemorate your high score on Bad Piggies or just want to show people something on your blog, taking a screen shot on the Motorola DROID RAZR HD is a snap. Simply hold the power button and the lower volume button and a screen shot will be saved to your Gallery. From there, you can email it or send it to various third-party services.
How to get quick access to your settings on your Motorola DROID Razr HD
A cool standard feature of the Motorola DROID RAZR HD is that it comes with quick access to settings that you'll use ofen. Simply swipe to the left home screen and you'll be able to adjust your ringtone, WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS, data connection, Airplane mode and phone lock setting.
How to set up Smart Actions on your Motorola DROID Razr HD
Motorola's Smart Actions are a set of automated tasks which could simplify your life but you have to enable it first. Tap on the Smart Actions icon, hit Get Started and you'll be able to turn it on.
Motorola has put a few templates in there and many of these are pretty useful. For example, Sleep Rule will adjust your ringer volume during hours when you're likely sleeping so it won't wake you up. The Meeting Rule Smart Action will silence your phone when you're in a meeting (it ca know thanks to integration with your calendar).
You can set up your own custom Smart Actions by hitting the Custom button. You'll have to give it a name, set the triggers and then add the actions. It takes a little bit of work and thought but it's well worth your time.
How to set a data limit on your Motorola DROID Razr HD
The Motorola DROID RAZR HD has blazing-fast 4G LTE but that can also be a problem because it makes it so much easier to blow past your monthly data limit. To set up a notification when you've reached a threshold, go into your settings, tap Data usage and then check the box which says, "Set mobile data limit." You can set a data limit on the graph by sliding the limit bar up and down.
How to hard reset your Motorola DROID RAZR HD
What exactly is a hard reset, you ask? Well, it's a software process that completely erases everything on the handset. It removes all data, apps and even media. The process basically puts your RAZR HD back into the factory state where the software is clean and supposedly bug-free.
While the hard reset process doesn't take that long, we've broken it down for you below. Be sure to back up your information beforehand or make sure that your photos and other info have been stored in the cloud. To hard reset, follow these steps:
- From the DROID RAZR HD home screen, select Settings.
- Once inside the settings application tap Storage.
- Scroll to the bottom and tap Factory Data Reset.
- Follow the on-screen instructions and select Erase Everything.
- Finally, confirm that this is what you actually want to do by tapping Yes.
- Your DROID RAZR HD will now reset.
When it reboots, make sure to set up your favorite apps and then you're good to go.
How to use Android Beam on your Motorola DROID RAZR HD
Android Beam is a great tool. It lets users share files, videos and even apps instantly! The software uses NFC for establishing a connection and pushing the file. It's fast and pretty darn awesome.
So if you're scratching your head about now, wondering how to actually use Android Beam, you've come to the right site. It may not be something you do all the time, but it is definitely cool and useful.
To use Android Beam on your DROID RAZR HD, follow these steps:
- From the DROID RAZR HD home screen, select Applications.
- From the Apps screen, select Settings.
- From the Settings section, select More Settings.
- Next, select Android Beam and switch it on.
- Now bring up the content you want to share and hold up your device to another NFC-enabled Android smartphone.
Congratulations, you have successfully used Android Beam!
How to set a passcode lock on your Motorola DROID RAZR HD
To set a passcode lock on your RAZR, follow these steps:
- From the RAZR HD home screen, select Settings.
- Scroll down and select Security.
- Next, select select Pin Lock.
- Enter a four-digit passcode, or an alphanumeric passcode of any length.
- Re-type your passcode to confirm.
- Set Require Passcode to the desired time -- this will be the amount of idle time before your DROID RAZR HD will require you to enter the passcode.
Congrats, you have just learned how to set a passcode lock on your DROID RAZR HD
How to send text messages by voice on your Motorola DROID RAZR HD
To send a text message via voice, read our guide below:
- From the RAZR HD home screen, open the messaging app.
- Now press the microphone button in the bottom left corner of the keyboard.
- Once pressed, you can now record your message. Speak as clearly as you can to avoid it getting confused or writing words you didn't actually say.
- Once finished, look over the SMS to see if any mistakes were made.
- Now choose who to send it to and press send. You're good to go!
How to add widgets to your Motorola DROID RAZR HD home screen
While adding a widget is easy for some, we've given you specific directions so you can't screw it up. Luckily, adding them on the RAZR HD is pretty easy. To add widgets to your DROID RAZR HD home screen, follow the steps below:
- From the home screen, select the Apps in the bottom right.
- Once this is done, select Widgets on the right.
- Tap and hold on the widget you want to install.
- Select where on the screen to place the widget, by dragging your finger across the display.
- That's it! You're done.
How to adjust screen brightness on your Motorola DROID RAZR HD
- From the DROID RAZR HD home screen, navigate to and tap on the Settings app.
- Next, tap Display.
- Then select Brightness.
- Once inside brightness, uncheck Automatic brightness.
- Once Automatic brightness is turned off, tap and slide the slider left or right to adjust brightness.
How to connect your Motorola DROID RAZR HD to Wi-Fi
- From the RAZR HD home screen, navigate to and tap on the Settings app.
- Once inside settings, scroll down and tap Wi-Fi. It should be near the top.
- Select the Wi-Fi network you wish to use and tap Connect.