How to monitor your data usage on AT&T
We show you several different ways to ensure your data usage stays under AT&T's new data plan caps
Now that we're all clear on how AT&T's new data plans will work, it's important that current and future AT&T subscribers understand two things: which plan is best for you and how to monitor your data usage.
We've already covered the former with our guide on how to view your AT&T data usage history.
Once you've decided on a plan, there are several ways to keep track of your data usage. While all of the mid-billig cycle data AT&T provides is estimated, it will certainly give you a good idea of when you might need to slow down in order to avoid added fees.
AT&T outlines several different ways to achieve this:
- Customer Text Notifications On Data Usage. When customers begin to approach their monthly usage limit, AT&T will send three text notifications – after they reach 65 percent, 90 percent and 100 percent of the threshold. Customers will also be sent emails if AT&T has their email address.
- Data Usage Monitoring. Additionally, customers with iPhones and other select devices can use the free AT&T myWireless application to check data usage. The application is available for download in several smartphone app stores. Also, AT&T customers can call *DATA# from their wireless phone to check their data usage for the current billing period. They receive a free text message with their usage information. Customers can also go online to www.att.com/wireless to see all of their usage information, past and present.
- Data Calculator. The easy-to-use online data calculator enables customers to estimate their mobile data usage and get a better sense for which data plan is right for them. It’s located at www.att.com/datacalculator.
The second item, AT&T's myWireless app, is probably the most simple and convenient way to monitor your usage because you can access it any time, anywhere.
Since iPhone users are a particularly data-hungry bunch, we'll quickly show you how to check your current data usage with the AT&T myWireless app for the iPhone:
- Download the AT&T myWireless app from the App Store
- Launch the app and log in with your AT&T account credentials
- In the main menu, tap Usage
- At the top of the screen, tap Data
- If you have a family plan, select the line for which you would like to view usage
That's it! You will now see a screen outlining your current data usage.